Monday 28 May 2012

Mid Wales Weekend - Sun tastic!

Great family weekend in Wales timed with the best few days weather we've had all year. As the weather was good, I thought I'd take a day off work and cycle down again.
Strava snip of my 153 mile ride there.
Teresa did the Torq Roughride last year too and I cycled there on the MTB which was 110miles from memory, but the weather was dreadful. This year I thought I'd take the road / cross bike as it's now set up to fit me (!). Perfect weather and a tailwind made the ride an absolute pleasure - not a care in the world all day and mostly traffic free on B roads. This year I didn't get lost in Shrewsbury but struggled towards the end with lack of calories on board !

Friday night was a chippy rendezvous in Kington and then head to the Campsite in Walton (3 miles away) so shower and open the vino. Tired.

Saturday Morning : The Campsite in Walton
Saturdays planned walk was short, but in this heat that's no bad thing (5 miles) and had a pub half way in Gladestry. Lovely walking over the Hergest Ridge as we followed signs for Teresa's race tomorrow.

Saturday Walk : Lewis scrambling on
rocks on way to the Hergest Ridge
We were very lucky Saturday night stumbling across one of the nicest pubs I've probably ever been to - The Harp Inn at Old Radnor. Nice Mackerel Pate to start, good real ale, can't remember the main course (sure it was great and no - nothing to do with the beer!) and views to die for watching the sun set.

Pity we had Lewis jumping all over us - never mind !

Sunday was the Rough Ride. T set off early, so Lewis and me sorted the van out and met Teresa at a point that she would cross on the way out and back. It was an amazingly quiet valley - perfect for Lewis to ride a few sheep trods on the way to intercept Teresa. Fantastic day for Lewis and me, finally picking Teresa up in Kington.

Sunday - campervan in distance next to Lake

Sunday - Lewis riding sheep trods whilst
heading out to intercept Teresa



No comments: