Sunday 24 November 2013

Ultra Tour de Matlock Bath : Just !

4,500ft of climbing don't sound too much. 29 miles doesn't sounds THAT silly. Do em both locally round Belper though and those slippy slidy muddy climbs will always ensure you finish absolutely exhausted! 

I like to sling this one in over the winter for several reasons. Firstly, it's a stunning route - loads of top local viewpoints. Secondly, it's from my front door - no petrol. Thirdly, it's a good test piece just to see how tired I am running up the final hill through Nether Heage.

Yesterday was a bit more of a challenge though. Ever since last Sunday's lakes run in my new inov8's I've been getting very very bad heel pain. Tuesday and Wednesday I was unable to walk normally. This did get slightly better during the week to a point on Saturday where I hardly noticed it, so I thought I'd go for it anyway. I was opting to run in my usual Walshes as I never get pain in those.  Sadly, leaving my front door and running down the terrace was substantially trickier than I'd hoped for. It was a shuffly hobble at best. What now ? Well, I never like to give up without a proper battle, so thought I'd start off on the route and see how it was at the top of Alport Heights. As it happened, only Andy turned out and seeing as his van was dropped in Matlock Bath ready for halfway rendezvous, I felt obliged to navigate him to his van at least ! 

After about 30 mins the pain had eased a fair bit. Thankfully, the lack of any training in the week meant my legs were fully charged, with the first proper food around Hearthstone lane (20 mile mark 3.5hours). This was an unusual feeling, but one I might try in the future - even the Fellsman, I think I train on the Thursday before the race on the Saturday - probably not wise after how good my legs felt with a week off.

Overall a great day out, Andy certainly enjoyed the first half, but as it's hard all the way through this route - found it hard going not surprisingly ! Moving time was 4h50 and I certainly wasn't pushing it. 

This now means that I've potentially got a pair of fell shoes which are of no use. I'll try them again in a month or so for 2-3 hours, but frustrating to say the least...










No comments: