Thursday 30 April 2015

Masson Hill Fell Race, 11th out of 133

This is the thirs time I've done this race and it seems it's only been run for 4 years. It's one of my favourites due to it's short classic fell race nature - 

Still Smiling at the finish .... Lee, Chris, Andy, Helen, Me, Andy, Rachel and Nathan
* The steepest route up the biggest local hill
* A few descents thrown in on the climb - just for good measure!
* A neverending climb
* Views to die for
* Very fast and varied descent (but never technical so perfect for me!)

This years race didn't disappoint plus we had a few new faces from the club turn out to their first fell race which is always good.  

I'd not run for a week as last Tuesday's training session with the club turned into a painful limp / walk and made me say to myself "if running was always that painful, I'd have packed up years ago". Glute / hamstring problems after about 1 hour again... Since then I'd been out every day on the road bike packing in the hills - feeling very weak at first but ending up feeling confident up hills - so back to my old self on the bike which was good.

Not running loads always seems to work well for my training - it's what I did during my Bob Graham prep and what I did through the whole of last summers racing too. As long as I get in the biking, running follows.

I felt good on the night - slowly moving through the field up to the trig point and not loosing any places on the awesome fast descent. Bring on the summer race season !

Results here - note that I was 11th and not 12th! Grrrrr
2 minutes faster than last year according to Strava
Last year's blog write up here



No comments: